Saturday, May 25, 2013

For easily 8 years I've happily grown and shared "Iron Clay" cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) due to extreme vigor, tender young protein-rich leaves and virtually zero pest or disease issues, with the pods edible at a few stages of growth, ending with dried seeds for cooking. But for the second year in a row I am pulling up any volunteers I see and feeding them to the chickens so I can test other cowpeas that make larger pods and bigger dried seeds. I bought a packet of "Dixie Lee cowpea" from this company and want to try 'Turkey Craw' that is supposed to make QUITE large pods and seeds. Every kind of cowpea I have ever grown has been super-reliable, though the sub-species that is the basis for the Asian Yard Long Beans seems to result in productive but short lived vines vs. cowpeas thriving all summer and well into early fall.

http://www.azuredandelion.com/heirloom-dixie-lee-crowder-cowpea-seed-southern-pea-550.html


http://www.rareseeds.com/turkey-craw-cowpea/

No comments:

Post a Comment