Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Allen Boatman and I have been friends for 7 years now I think, he ran a WONDERFUL horticulture rehab program at the Falkenburg Jail for 14 years...brilliant horticulturist, passionately Christian but not in-your-face, fun to hang out and converse with, all around nice guy.. I had the pleasure of a nice long visit from him Monday, got caught up on things, swapped seeds and plants, he saw the BIG changes taking place here, and was pleased that I have resumed breeding roses after a 2 year hiatus during which I considered the many negative changes in the roses world.....drought, bankruptcies of growers, even Weeks Roses and Jackson & Perkins Roses. He gave me OODLES of molokhiya seeds and what looks to easily be 200 seeds of Tamarillo, which I THINK I ate many of in Costa Rica in 1991 and 1994. I tried growing them here several years ago and failed, but that was long before I devised my home made Water Wise Container Gardens. I'm sharing with friends here and Mary Jo's Mom on Key Largo where they might stand a better chance. Based on what the attached article says, I wonder if they could actually cross pollinate with eggplants and ruin BOTH crops...plus hybrid seedlings could be truly bizarre!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarillo

No comments:

Post a Comment