Thursday, March 6, 2014

For the 19 years that I was an organic landscaper here and in Denver I created a great many landscapes for my clients that were radical for the times.....greatly reduced lawn areas replaced with informal English style cottage gardens of Old Roses, perennials, some annuals plus herbs and veggies. Not once did any of my clients get cited by code, even in very upscale neighborhoods with lots of anal-retentive rules. But I relied on two "distractions"....using all organic nutrients like fish meal, cotton seed meal, soybean meal, I made what lawn remained THE thickest and greenest and most weed free in the neighborhood. Secondly, I made those landscape beds THE most colorful in the neighborhood. Neighbors seem VERY hesitant to turn in neighbors to code just because their beautiful landscape is a little different. Super reliable sources of color to border "controversial" permaculture gardens in central Florida with include old fashioned red and lavender pentas (IF you can find them as the modern dwarfs suck), Sulfur Cosmos (super easy from seeds plus reseeds), Blue and Red Porterweed, Turnera, Salvia leucantha, Salvia 'Indigo Spires', Salvia coccinea, Vincas, Dwarf allamanda, 'Cramoisi Superieur' rose, Eranthemum pulchellum, various ruellias. All of my business came from word of mouth, often from the neighbors OF my clients. My own yards have always tended to be messy and jungly BUT super colorful, so I've had MINIMAL problems with code all these years.








No comments:

Post a Comment