Monday, March 14, 2011

'Green Acres'

I have loved this show ever since it came out when I was in 7th grade in Homestead, Florida. In college here in Tampa, some days I'd smoke a joint and watch reruns on my tiny dumpster TV. The casting is absolutely perfect! Mr. Haney, the amoral conniving huckster,.....Frank Kimball, the forgetful ag agent, the Ziffel family (including Arnold the pig), Lisa Douglas both luxurious and airheaded, and more, with Mr. Douglas as the sane guy baffled and exhasperated by them all daily.. A few years ago I got an EXTREMELY good deal on-line for both seasons on DVD....I think $5 plus shipping! But there are many clips from this iconic comedy series on YouTube and I think Hulu.

I bet this series helped to shape my then-young mind to savor both gardening and a style of layered humor in some ways reminiscent of that on "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show". Nothing like watching Mr. Douglas deal with the Monroe Brothers and their never-ending "remodelling" of his home, like the bedroom closet open to the outdoors, plus the door slides out its track every time. Delicious humor, but the farming and poultry raising episodes are true gems. Enjoy, John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbk81X6WHA4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment