Monday, March 14, 2011

Ethiopian Kale

Last year Mary Jo bought three packets of this African veggie from the good folks at ECHO to share with gardening friends in the hopes it might prove to be heat tolerant since it hails from Ethiopia. The flavor and texture was very pleasing all winter long, with me and visitors grazing directly from the plant growing in a compost barrel. It is now bolting and so I very much doubt it will prove to be a summer survivor here in Tampa. Even though it is a separate species of Brassica (carinata I think) that might not cross with other brassicas in my gardens I will nonetheless cover a few of the unopened bud clusters with envelopes to insure they self-pollinate to give me true seed to grow next winter. I wonder how it would do as a spring crop in cold climates with snowy winters?  John

No comments:

Post a Comment