Saturday, August 13, 2011

www.wildseedfarms.com

Today I dog-eared several pages in their new catalog that, as it has for years, offers a very eclectic mix of seeds of wildflowers, native grasses, plus herbs and cultivated flowers by the packet, the ounce and the POUND. The per-pound prices are excellent for folks who wish to create a meadow. Since I live in Zone 9b, many of their offerings are unlikely to thrive here, so I again chose those that my instincts tell  me stand a fair chance in Tampa. I am especially looking forward to trying the Evening Primrose, Purple Horse Mint, Moss Verbena, Rose Mallow (which I grew each summer in Denver for years), Showy Primrose (which I planted in many Denver landscape clients' gardens) and Standing Cypress, which reseeds readily in Denver, and Tuber Vervain. I've spoken by phone with the owner....a delightful guy, and I am so glad that years ago I took his advice and tried Yellow Cosmos/Klondyke Mix as it utterly THRIVES in Tampa, self sows like crazy, and is a magnet for butterflies. His per-packet price makes it possible for a gardener to test many varieties in their area.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment