Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Semi-Day Off.....

Goofed off mostly....Cracker and I hit Picnic Island Beach for the first time in 4-5 weeks, had a blast, he is SUCH a "beach dog", romping and swimming joyfully.....I brought home some seashell grit for my poultry and a 5 gallon bucket of  fresh "sea grass" the high tide had piled up all along the beach in hopes the chickens and ducks would feast on it....nope! Ran errands then picked up kitchen scraps from the nearby restaurant to feed the flocks. I poured some 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer I was given ages ago into a 5 gallon bucket of kitchen graywater plus some monocalcium phosphate and a handful of trace elements plus a plum sized chunk of feed grade urea. I stirred good, let it set a while, stirred again than divied it up between three roses out front in buried containers....'Mme. Antoine Marie', 'Duchesse de Brabant' and 'Reve d'Or' who were already refoliating heavily after that 8 inches plus of rain several days ago.....now they should REALLY take off as I treat them to 5 gallon buckets of rain water.

Today on the way home from the beach I stopped at the old Rembrandt apartments next to my alma mater, Robinson.....buildings gone, whole property fenced with HIGH fencing BUT...that south side ditch the Vietnamese there used as an urban farm is accessible and still being tended to in a short section and loaded with that original strain of Water Spinach (Ipomoea aquatica)...my memory was right..it is VERY different from the strain I bought a bag of Monday at the Oceanic Market. In the ditch I sunk up to my hips in muck to reach the water spinach (the muck sucked off my flip flops, I had to fish them out by hand...yuck!) but I got a nice rooted clump plus a fistful of cuttings. I will root them in pots of garden soil set into trays of water. I'm guessing they will be ready to share in 2-3 weeks.


I love play days where I still get grown up stuff done!  John

No comments:

Post a Comment