Saturday, February 13, 2010

Easy African Yam Recipe


Today I sliced a couple more thick slabs off the African Yellow Yam tuber I dug up maybe 10 days ago, cut off the peels, then set aside the slimy raw "steaks" on a plate. In a stainless steel skillet I poured in some roasted sesame oil, then added a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil (solid on this chilly day). Once the oils were hot I goobered in maybe a heaping tablespoon of panang-style Thai curry paste right from the bag inside the tub...comes out like tooth paste. I used the spatula to flatten and chop the panang paste into the oil, then put the two yam chunks in, put on the clear glass lid, then browned them SLOWLY midway between Low and Medium. (slow cooking insures that "slime" is cooked). Once both sides were browned in the spicy oil, I added maybe 1/8 cup of water then put the lid on to steam them as insurance they were cooked all the way through. No salt as a few weeks ago I discovered that my blood pressure, resting heart rate had gone up along with the return of irregular heartbeat, so am repeating the steps I took a few years ago to fully correct all three, which I will detail in my Starnesland blog.

I served the fried yam slices with a raw kosatai leaf and flower, and savored them all as a light midafternoon lunch.
I have literally hundreds of pounds of this and other kinds of yams underground, and love the rich flavor and texture, which a friend years ago described as tasting like a French Fry made from an Idaho potato. African Yellow Yam (Dioscorea cayenenis) has a texture a little denser than a baked Idaho potato. I will be selling plants of this hyper-productive crop this spring, mindful that it has the potential to be invasive if grown unwisely.

Yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment