Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Once again here in my gardens, Mojito Mint, a species native to Cuba, outperforms by a WIDE margin other mints that are MUCH sweeter and mintier in both taste and aroma, like 'Kentucky Colonel' mint, a cultivar of Spearmint (Mentha spicata) which in Denver was SO prolific I knew people who used RoundUp to try to control it. Mojito Mint makes a nice minty tea and is good in salads and grows like crazy for lots of Floridians. I wonder if I could cross it with 'Kentucky Colonel' mint to improve the minty-ness and cut the sharpness? I keep hearing from gardeners in the area that Mojito Mint is super-reliable, so they forgive it for its sharpness raw, and it being far less minty sweet than the spearmint that thrives in colder climates. I've seen people make a face when tasting it raw due to its bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment