Saturday, March 2, 2013

I can see anew why I am obsessing on finding truly perennial mints for the area that are VERY minty and sweet....a few visitors here have found the scent of very reliable Mojito Mint (native to Cuba) pleasant, but commented that the taste is sharp and biting. Now two people have sniffed my trial plant of 'Kentucky Colonel Mint' and REALLY liked it but made a face and stated objections to the scent of the 'Swiss Mint' that Ricola uses to make their mint drops. Yesterday I gave seedlings of what hopefully proves to be true Spearmint (Mentha spicata) to Mary Shalhub-Davis from seeds that Tanja Vidovic gave me. I will trial all three on the north side of my home to shield them from the harsh south winter sun plus get any cool north winds that arrive here. It will be interesting to see which, if any, are thriving here three years from now as true perennials here in balmy south Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment