Saturday, August 30, 2014

I've never liked "Lagos Spinach" (Celosia argentea?) raw as I can taste and feel the high levels of calcium oxalate on my tongue and in my mouth and throat. But unlike the cyanogenic glucossides in chaya, yuca, lima beans, jack beans, sword beans and hyacinth beans it won't out gas during cooking...it has to be leached out. So today for the first time I cooked some chopped in a small pot with water, sea salt and coconut oil for about 15 minutes......delicious, just about identical to true spinach! I was amazed at how purple the cooking water got. These plants came up self sown in an 18 gallon Water Wise Container Garden in the center east bed out back...they are so decorative I will sow seeds in my front street beds that I am colorizing heavily.




No comments:

Post a Comment