Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My original plant of "Filipino Mexican Tree Pepper" was planted in the ground many years ago, before the drought settled in, and each year averaged 5' X 5' and bore hundreds if not thousands of hot peppers annually. Each spring I'd cut it back hard and feed it like a rose and it would regrow like crazy. Then I lost it a few years ago after 2 nights of 27 degrees. Thankfully 2 years ago I found some old pods in an envelope and have it again. Now I have seedlings in a pot I am dividing today.....3 go to Mary Jo recently gave one to Charlei and her hubby Nate. I'll keep at least 3 as I want to go back to bulk hot sauce making. This plant is thriving in an 18 gallon Water Wise Container Garden, and in about 6 weeks I'll have red ripe pods to mail to folks...oddly, Allen Boatman and I discovered the hard way that the pods need to be dried for a few weeks indoors until very brittle for the seeds to germinate. The pic of my hand with peppers was taken in the good old days of the original plant.




No comments:

Post a Comment