Monday, June 25, 2012

Good thing I worked on one hugel kultur project around my Palestine Lime Tree (nearly finished there) today and began another around a mystery citrus seedling I planted maybe 6 weeks ago that was prone to wilting in my oven-like west bed that I am about half way through doing a revamp of from a crappy looking storage area to a food forest, and. hopefully once again, a thriving bee hive. (this spring I daily set sugar water and cut flowers at the entrance and attracted vast numbers of bees who eagerly fed, but no one moved in). This wet of a week will encourage me to build great piles of branches of Paper Mulberry, Perennial Sunflower (Tithonia diversifolia) and the Cassia alata out from that has QUICKLY gotten WAY too big to create a thick, moisture-retentive mulch layer where needed. As the limbs go down I will also spread bags of oak leaves dropped off here by neighbors. I envision that within 6 months, that formerly hot dry sandy crappy-looking west bed catch-all storage dump will instead be a lush food forest whose floor will be a very thick hybrid of sheet composting and hugel kultur. Crops currently doing well in there: Passionfruit, Cassava, Pig Chaya, two citrus trees, African Yellow Yam, Purple Ube Yams, a Jaboticaba tree in a buried 55 gallon Water Wise Container Garden, potted cannas, self sown Vigna unguiculata "Clay". http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/weather/forecast.html

No comments:

Post a Comment