Friday, May 27, 2011

Fixing a Hose

Today I fixed a wasteful leak in my back yard hose  cheaply, quickly and easily with a plastic hose mender from Home Depot, a kitchen knife, boiling water and a Phillips screwdriver. I used the knife to cut out about 5 inches of the hose where the split occured, slipped the mender collar over the hose, then brought a quart of water to a boil. I inserted both cut ends of the hose into the boiling water in a pot for about 90 seconds to expand and soften the hose. The mender insert slipped easily into each hot, pliable end of the hose cut.....natural cooling alone helps to insure a tight mend even without the collar tightened easily with a Phillips screw driver. (Who was Phillips anyway?). My hose was fixed quickly and cheaply and easily. John

No comments:

Post a Comment