Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Waste Not Want Not


Feathers are comprised of the protein keratin plus some silica and other trace elements, just like our own fingernails, and thus make an excellent high nitrogen organic soil food....that is why "feather meal" is a key ingredient of many organic fertilizers. I slaughtered my second chicken ever, a rooster, last Friday....since I took that feathered dinosaur's life, I wish to waste nothing of him because I raised him from an egg in my incubator. I will likely bury his feathers in a Water Wise Container Garden I plan to try some Cocozelle squash in.
With so many folks raising chickens these days in their yards, which I think is a wonderfully hopeful phenomenon, I feel it is very important that the value of the plucked feathers as a soil food be widely known.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment