Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Duck Liberation

A call from my neighbor Theresa yesterday revealed that one of my two semi-free range female Muscovy ducks had regrown her flight feathers and was in the foreclosed yard next door! I am sure my failed efforts to catch her looked very Three Stooges-esque, then she fled through a hole in the fence.

So who do I see on my front porch this morning trying to get restaurant scraps from that familiar swimming pool tablet bucket?! By the time I came from the back yard with a stick, my intent to break her neck for my first (wussily long delayed) duck kill she'd reached the street and as I approached she broke into a slow very low level flight about two feet above the pavement, vanishing almost two blocks away. All those months of feeding and no duck meat!

I checked the rest of that flock and it SEEMS they each still have one clipped wing. After the holiday I WILL "man up" and grab the pellet gun and machete and finally do it as I have fourteen ducks and a dozen more eggs in the incubator....and I've read that Muscovy meat is delicious, a gourmet item in high end restaurants. If I rearrange the freezer I think I can make room for three of those very large carcasses.

She is one lucky duck...but if hunger brings her back here again, out comes the pellet gun and machete!

No comments:

Post a Comment