Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cultivating Hope

I enjoyed the Detroit urban farming documentary 'Urban Roots' at Roosevelt 2.0 last night...so moving to see local folks bypassing "due process" and using direct action to create lush, productive, organic urban farms on parcels of Detroit's vast swaths of long-abandoned properties. In particular it was a joy to see the children immersing themselves in the experience, cultivating hope, likely a rare commodity in such blighted neighborhoods.

I gave some cool seeds and thornless edible cactus pad starters to gardeners I knew would be there, and Pam Lunn gave me a tub of her wonderful goat feta cheese in thanks. Nice to see my friends Mary Jo and Robin and Tim there. Great conversations with folks before and after,  and I scarfed down some great free nibbles, including samples of two wonderfully hoppy local beers. Good to see John Butts of Eco Farm, and James Kovaleski there too as it had had been a while. On the way home I dropped off a blanket and insulated rain jackets for the good folks of Occupy Tampa in front of Curtis Hixon. All in all a grand  and produtive day and home and "out in the world".

No comments:

Post a Comment