Sunday, December 12, 2010

Update on my home made tofu

Mixed results...it DID curdle very well, and I let it press overnight so it was very firm and dense this morning. But tofu is usually made from full fat soybeans, so my defatted soyflour gave me a tofu that is beige and the texture of slightly damp, VERY dense cornbread with zero elasticity. I fried two slices in a mix of coconut oil, roasted sesame oil and palm oil, and sprinkled them with garlic powder, powdered hot pepper and fish sauce.....they were okay but too mushy vs. chewy like the firm tofu I buy and freeze for two months before thawing and squeezing out the moisture before cooking it. I will freeze half of this, and use the other half to add protein to home made spaghetti sauce I will make to enjoy during this new cold spell. Always fun to play Dr. Frankenstein in my kitchen!  John

No comments:

Post a Comment