Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Waste Not Want Not


I was working on this entry last night when that blessed rain storm knocked out the power despite being quite far south at the time....here goes again.

Due to the hard freezes I had here in south Tampa last winter (including two LONG nights of 27 degrees despite my being close to the bay) all my cassavas, plus my Bolivian Sunflower (Tithonia diversifolia) froze to the ground. Of course they are coming back from their bases, but I had a LOT of unsightly lightweight dead stalks to cut down. Some pieces are going into compost piles, some into Water Wise Container Gardens, and some being used as a component as I sheet compost gardens.

Here are pics of some the stalks.....coming soon will be photos and videos of how I am using these freeze-killed stalks as a resource vs. doing as my neighbors are and taking plant waste from the freezes to the landfill.

Waste not, want not! John
p.s. in Denver I made similar use of the stalks of annual sunflowers, sunchokes, and corn as they too decay rapidly.

No comments:

Post a Comment