Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Errant Arugula

Arugula is considered a cold hardy winter crop in central and south Florida, and I've grown it as such for years as do friends. Last winter I grew quite a bit as "filler" in a front bed I am re-inventing by burying 5 gallon Water Wise Container Gardens with 1 rose per bucket, with perennials and annuals in between.....I got TONS of arugula for months, followed by a very heavy seed set which I harvested. But to my surprise, despite this scorching drought that is breaking records in varying parts of the state, OODLES of self sown arugula seedlings have appeared and are growing lushly after I gave that bed a deep watering recently. I just bought organic balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil on sale at Big Lots, so today I am going to indulge in the VERY unexpected treat of an arugula and molokhiya salad on a hot mid-June day!  John

1 comment:

  1. Celebrating the unexpected windfall!
    I love it.
    :^D

    ReplyDelete