Friday, October 1, 2010

New Batch of Home Made Kefir


I recently scavenged a few of those heavy glass rectangular glass aquariums that we used as kids to raise those little green turtles in. I cleaned one out well, rinsed it with bleach, then poured in 1 cup of my own kefir that had originally been cultured with plain 'Lifeway Kefir' (* has ten species of beneficial bacteria that address GERDS and Acid Reflux with incredible effectiveness!), a gallon of "whole milk" from Publix, then stirred in a few cups of 'Old Orchard' Blueberry-Pomegranate Juice and 1/2 cup sugar to feed the bacteria, placed a freshly laundered terry cloth towel over the top of the tank, then set it in my laundryroom that is not air-conditioned or heated. Three days later I had a WONDERFUL batch of homemade kefir that my friend Avena loved. A quart of 'Lifeway Kefir' can be $4.29 at the store....this gallon of thick, creamy, flavorful kefir cost me less than $3.50! John

No comments:

Post a Comment