Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Paul Saucier...the longer I live the less I "know" about plants....remember that "Capital D" cross leaf cross section thing about Allium fistulosom that for years I've told friends and students and that you and I saw even in your bulbing onions that baffled me? Well, I just Googled my brains out and this seems to be yet one more thing that accomplished botanists disagree about, just as others can't agree about the yam species. I've seen the "D" and "O" cross section over the years but am now no longer willing to attribute either trait to a given species or cultivar. Part of the problem seems to be genuine academic disagreement, part seems to be the ancient human origins of both A. cepa and A. fistulosum, and part seems to be because they and their hybrids readily cross. Getting humbled like this reminds me why I've loved roses, mostly heirloom and species roses, since 1989.....despite my having passionately studied them since that year, I am continually baffled and surprised by them. Cracks me up when I am introduced as a "roses expert" when in fact I am just perennially CURIOUS about them! As to my quest for tasty perennial alliums, all I can do at this point is to keep obtaining and testing various candidates, so thanks for cordoning off some of each of your three patches at H.E.A.R.T. to see if any divide/make bulbils/make seeds/make vivaporous clones/rot in the summer rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment