Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Jaboticaba

The poor thing has struggled here for easily 8 years due to my not addressing the fact that it is virtually a swamp tree that wants REALLY damp soil. A few months ago I moved it to a buried 55 gallon Water Wise Container Garden that I could keep damper but it STILL struggled. At the last Tampa Rare Fruit Council meeting a cute, energetic young man gave an excellent talk about the various Jaboticabas and their culture...it turns they want VERY acidic soil, as low as or even lower a pH than blueberries want! So I gave it some iron sulfate and Southern Ag minor elements mixed in a few gallons of rain water, and am giving it my retrieved daily 1 gallon backyard shower water more often....and it has taken off! Nice new shiny leaves just like in his  PowerPoint presentation! Dare I imagine my first EVER fruits next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment